attorney office

24 May. 21

Does Alton, Illinois Child Support Include Child’s College Expense?

College Expenses under Child Support

child supportWhen parents decide to divorce or split up, child support orders have to follow. The court will order the noncustodial parent to make a fair contribution to help the custodial parent bring up the child. However, many questions remain concerning financial contributions once a child turns 18. The fact is that the children’s need for financial support from parents does not end on their eighteenth birthday. This is when most of them are starting college, while others may still be in high school. Below is a discussion about what the law says concerning support and college expenses in Alton, IL.

Child Support Order May or May Not Include College Expenses

If you have been served with this type of order, you may be wondering if the order includes college expenses once your child graduates from high school or turns 18. The truth is that there is no clear answer applicable to all cases. Typically, in Illinois, this type of support should end when your child turns 18 or when he or she graduates from high school. If the child is still in high school, support should end at the age of 19. Once the support ends and the child wants to go to college, the custodial parent may go to court to obtain the necessary orders to get child support for college expenses.

What College Expenses entail Under Illinois Law?

The law allows the custodial parent to petition the court to order the noncustodial parent to pay for their child’s college expenses. College expenses include tuition, books, room and board, and travel to and from college. If the divorce decree does not clearly establish child support for these expenses, the custodial parent may petition the court to get an order for the noncustodial parent to pay for them. However, it is imperative to note that although the court may allow their petition, they are unlikely to get orders for payments on retroactive expenses.

The Takeaway

Child SupportOverall, it is apparent that in Illinois, divorce decrees may be silent on this issue when it comes to college expenses. However, if a child has completed high school and he or she would like to go to college, the custodial parent may petition the court to get orders for the non-custodial parents to pay for college expenses. So, in Alton, IL, it may include college expenses.

Have other questions? Call our office today.